Adair goes to Europe

For the first time ever, Adair became a world traveller. This site documents her emails back to her family throughout the course of her stay. The plan: travel extensively through Italy, France, Sweeden, Austria and then spend a few weeks taking classes at Oxford University in Great Britain. It's a good life.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ahh... To be in Paris...

Bonjour!

I am in Paris until Saturday morning. It was incredibly hot but it started raining tonight, which cooled it off some, luckily.

I went to the Louvre today and saw the Mona Lisa, it was pretty cool. I also went to the Pantheon here and went into the crypts. I liked that better than the Mona Lisa. And then we climbed a whole bunch of stairs, again, to the top of the cathedral and got an incredible view of Paris. We were going to go to the Eiffel Tower tonight but the rain didn't quite allow that. I went to the Champs Elysees and walked around for a bit; very expensive, of course.

I eat so much baguette and nutella it's not even funny... but it's delicious.

Our hotel is really nice -- it's brand new and has this really sweet pool with powerful jets that work like a massage, it's pretty awesome. I didn't bring a bathing suit, the only thing I've forgotten so far, so I had to buy one, oh darn. I found one for pretty cheap (compared to the $100 bathing suits from the GAP, I mean come on...it's the GAP). I used it earlier, it worked out well. Back to the hotel -- it looks like it should be in the IKEA store. All of it. We have a see-through bathroom (makes it kind of awkward taking a shower) but it has a rain head (from the top, feels like rain) and a flat panel LCD tv, with a few BBC channels. Really good for soccer.

I forgot how rude the French were. We went to buy Metro passes and I actually remember a good bit of French. Enough to watch French TV, read French signs and actually understand what it says. So I tried to speak French to the guy selling the passes and he shushed me away acting like he didn't understand anything I said. How Rude.

I'm taking a night off tonight and going to bed early. I've been so tired from going to bed late and waking up at 6:30 a.m. The walking is serious too. I don't know how anyone could gain weight on the traveling portion.

Well, I'm off to bed. Another day full of museums and walking tomorrow.

Love you, Adair

P.S. I think we are going to try and get some fondue tomorrow. We heard of a good place that has all the wine you can drink.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm reading your notes with great interest and wonder--along with a touch of jealousy! It's really great that you can do all of this and in the middle of it be so grateful for ketsup, ice and a toilet. I hope you always have that precious sense of what's what for the rest of your days. Keep the posts coming, they are great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home